[OSGeo-Edu] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Use cases for FOSS-GIS in universities

Raj Singh raj at rajsingh.org
Tue May 15 21:10:27 EDT 2007

Whether commercial or open source, this technology is difficult to
learn. I think the problem is that academia doesn't know what these
new tools are good for. Someone mentioned the Tomlin book. It's great
if you need to do spatial analysis for landscape ecology or urban
planning. If you're interested in collaborative geo-information
sharing, the new open source tools are great for this, but there is
no curriculum or textbook to reference. Until the next Tomlin comes
along and puts the conceptual foundation in place, I believe the
situation Arnulf describes will persist.
---
Raj