[OSGeo-Edu] Programming Languages

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri May 25 16:33:41 EDT 2007

Lainaus Tim Michelsen <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de>:

> The above mentioned site states to address the needs of newcomers to the
> field or programming - as I am: "This project is intended for
> information about and discussion how different programming languages are
> used in OSG software and what's available."
>
> To my think it should therefore - instead of being just another software
> list - show things like what are good and efficient ways to step into
> programming with focus on getdata.

It's a wiki page. Wiki stands for collaborative editing and improving.
The last edit of this page is from August last year (by me). It's
great that you show interest.

> 1) Do we have FOSS equivalents of the above mentioned languages?
> 2) Which programming language should be applied for what?
> 3) Where shall teachers start when intending a more programming
> orientated course?
>
> Related to the other post I recently started and enjoyed discussing (Use
> cases for FOSS-GIS in universities -
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.discuss/1571)

The results of that discussion could be edited into a wiki page too.
The process: discussion on list, collaboration on wiki, document on a
static web page could be our aim.

> of manuals on ArcInfo, ArcMap, IDL, etc. But no single book about FOSS
> geo-programming (note that I am not talking of PHP/Mapserver here). As

> Are there books about that?
> On http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Library#GFOSS_Books the only one
> addressing these issues may be 2004, Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS
> Approach and Mapping Hacks. The majority of books are now addressed
> towards web develment...

Yes! That's been on my todo list for a long time now. But my book
would focus on Perl, which would cover only a fraction. Maybe we need
a real concerted effort. Let's have a (virtual or real) workshop on
the issue and write papers and edit the book from those?

> What I would like to have like a introduction on FOSS based geo/numeric
> programming that we could hand out to our teachers and they just get the
> spirit and go on themselves.
> The OSGeo Journal has already nice articles. Why not joining the those
> experinced teachers who work with FOSS already and pulish a series of
> booklets?
> Some title ideas: Remote sensing with FOSS tools, Creation of custom
> applicataions with FOSS GIS, Modelling with FOSS, ...
>
> What do you think?

These are all good topics. Let's think about the workshop. Thanks for
your interest.

Ari