Subject: [OSGeo-Edu] American Association of Geographers April Meeting, Boston

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sat Nov 3 16:44:19 EDT 2007

On 3-Nov-07, at 10:20 AM, cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu wrote:

> Quoting "Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)" <tmitchell at osgeo.org>:
>
>> In short, I don't want it to compete with OSGeo, but to build on and
>> implement its values.  And I want the freedom to debate its purpose
>> and structure without having to consider all the dynamics within an
>> OSGeo context - does that make sense?
>
> It does to me... and again it sounds like a really neat idea.
> Perhaps one
> overlap might be encouraging mentors who create any educational
> documentation to
> consider placing that in the OSGeo repository we are trying to build.

Oh for sure there is that overlap.  I also envision having pupils
create training material, as they learn, and as part of their
requirements to graduate to the next levels.  All that would
naturally feed into Edu mission.

I'll introduce the idea in a bit more detail on this list in the
future and see if others have more to add.

Tyler