[OSGeo-Edu] Proposal: Multi-language OSGeo dictionary

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 18:48:19 EST 2007

Hi Edu team,

I would like to propose the idea of a Multi-language OSGeo dictionary.
The scope would be to collect over the years geo* related terms in
a multi-language style to facilitate reading/writing in other languages,
to help with software internationalization, to help when writing proposals
in non-mother-tongue languages (like me who has to write in Italian) etc.
Example: I had to write something about landscape genetics in
Italian and lightly struggled to find the correct term.

I know about a 4 languages soil science dictionary, also something similar
for other topics (but all with non-free license).
Since we are an excellent group of experts covering many languages,
we could run this as long-term project.

We could use the Wiktionary software (http://www.wiktionary.org/) and
keep it running.  Possibly an OSGeo hacker could also fetch translations
from Wikipedia from a handcrafted terms collection of terms to populate
an initial dictionary (using the box on the left side which references
translations).

Once a reasonable amount of terms is available, download should be
enabled in Docbook or other formats.

I have written a small page to better collect further suggestions:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Multilanguage_Dictionary

Cheers
Markus
--