[OSGeo-Edu] Proposal: Multi-language OSGeo dictionary

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Tue Nov 20 07:44:20 EST 2007

On 20 Nov 2007, at 07:23, Clara Tattoni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the geo-dictionary is a great idea, actually I wish I could
> already use it.

I agree with Clara's sentiment, it would be great to have already.  I
haven't spoken up to date since I question my ability to contribute,
but consider this my "philosophical" support, as well as a
realization that I may be able to encourage graduate students to help
out as they figure out terminology.

Cheers,
Scott

>> On 8-Nov-07, at 3:48 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>> Hi Edu team,
>>>
>>> I would like to propose the idea of a Multi-language OSGeo
>>> dictionary.
>>> The scope would be to collect over the years geo* related terms in
>>> a multi-language style to facilitate reading/writing in other
>>> languages,
>>> to help with software internationalization, to help when writing
>>> proposals
>>> in non-mother-tongue languages (like me who has to write in
>>> Italian) etc.
>>> Example: I had to write something about landscape genetics in
>>> Italian and lightly struggled to find the correct term.
>>>
>>> I know about a 4 languages soil science dictionary, also
>>> something similar
>>> for other topics (but all with non-free license).
>>> Since we are an excellent group of experts covering many languages,
>>> we could run this as long-term project.
>>>
>>> We could use the Wiktionary software (http://www.wiktionary.org/)
>>> and
>>> keep it running.  Possibly an OSGeo hacker could also fetch
>>> translations
>>> from Wikipedia from a handcrafted terms collection of terms to