[OSGeo-Edu] Proposal: Multi-language OSGeo dictionary

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 11:32:00 EST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007 10:08 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2007 3:33 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan
> <raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp> wrote:
> > Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> > > Venka, you recently mentioned to me that a Japanese (and Chinese?)
> > > effort that covered a similar need already existed.  Is it something we
> > > can re-use and add on to?  Can you provide a pointer?
> >
> > http://zgate.gsi.go.jp/2kokukan/termstable/termstable_index_j.html
> >
> > The page is in Japanese. But there are links to zipped Excel files
> > and xml database containing glossary on GIS and Disaster.
> >
> > GIS and Disaster (English-japanese-chinese)5400 Records
> > GIS and Disaster  (English-chinese-Korean-Turkish-Thai) 200 Records
> >
> > The license note says that "In case of no-profit activity, these table
> > and database is free for use essentially..."
> >
> > If necessary, some additional clarification could be sought from
> > the Editors of the glossary.
>
> I am afraid that this license is not sufficient for us. While OSGeo is
> non-profit, our users are not. I could also not take a term and
> put it into GPL'ed/MIT'ed software since use of the software for
> commercial purposes is possible.
>
> It would be great to really "free" these glossaries.

I agree with Markus. Other than software and other "creative" stuff,
all data should be free of all encumbrances, and should not
specifically restrict commercial activity in order to be really
useful. Restricting data (even software) to non-commercial use greatly
restricts its usefulness.

--
Puneet Kishor