[OSGeo-Edu] Moodle/Content Management System discussion

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Oct 13 23:54:04 EDT 2007

Hi all,

(My full thinking is listed here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Edu_Concent_Management_Platform_Decision#NEW_THOUGHTS_ON_COLLABORATIVE_PLATFORM_STRATEGY)
But based on the Moodle discussion -- I've come to this conclusion. I
think we need:

- A MODULE METADATA SYSTEM that allows our OSGeo website visitors to
search for modules, or full courses.

- This system needs the metadata fields we have listed on the wiki
inventory page: Author Name(s), Affiliation, URL, Description, Keywords,
Date published, Version #, License, Target audience, Language, Relevant
software, Additional comments

- The URL field could link to a Moodle COURSE, or a MODULE stored on a
Moodle system, or any other location within OSGeo's system or external
to OSGeo.

- OSGeo members need to be able to enter new records into this system.

MY QUESTIONS:

- Can Moodle do what I'm thinking we need? I don't think it can. I think
we need a database-driven search and post data application with our
metadata fields.

- Am I off in my thinking anywhere?

- If not, any ideas on how we can get this kind of system established?

Cheers

Charlie

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 10:36 +0200, maria.brovelli at diiar-topo.polimi.it