[OSGeo-Edu] Free GIS Book - next step ideas

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Oct 17 13:34:23 EDT 2007

On 17-Oct-07, at 9:25 AM, Victor Olaya wrote:

> We can publish something like "GIS applied to social sciences", for
> instance, and one such article in each journal number. Even, if we
> want it
> to be more suitable for the OSGeo Journal, we could write something
> like
> "Open Source GIS applied to social sciences"...and add some case
> studies and
> everything related to the use of GIS in that particular field. We
> can later
> remove the software stuff in the article to fit it into the
> theoretical
> philosophy of the book.
>
> What do you think of this? Tyler, what's your opinion on this?

In the Journal we usually have at least one general article, I've
called them "topical" articles - these are not about open source
software, but about concepts that readers of our journal would
appreciate.  So, general GIS topics are definitely welcome,
especially if there isn't a topical article already planned.  We try
to list related software at the end of the article, so people can
learn where to go to learn more and so there is some link to FOSS at
the end.

However, we can fit in more articles if they have a clearer focus on
open source and how certain concepts are implemented using FOSS.
These kinds of articles are preferred and are much easier for us to
justify including.

Ideally we'd have two articles - one that discusses theory/practice
and another that shows it implemented in your favourite FOSS tool.  I
like to couple these together in the same volume if possible.

Does that make sense?

Tyler