[OSGeo-Edu] gis book license and EDU GROUP STATUS REPORT

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Fri Oct 26 09:09:05 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 10:15 -0700, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> For the journal we decided to use non-derivatives so that we were
> always kept informed of 3rd party usage of the material.  That is,
> the author always had to be asked permission before derivatives could
> be made.  Of course, this will slow down adoption, but it will also
> help keep the original author involved with others who want to re-use
> his/her material.  But notice, it does not prevent someone from
> making derivatives - they only have to ask first :)
For the book (and possibly all education materials) I think this makes
good sense. But it means that on the book website there should be a
clear statement saying that the possibility of new derivatives exist, it
just has to be funneled through the "book chapter maintainer/editor". I
think every chapter should probably have a "author/maintainer" for the
reasons above but also so that contributors can cite their ownership in
their CVs.

STATUS REPORT:

1) 14 inventory entries and counting. Thanks to the groups from Italy
for posting their material
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Educational_Content_Inventory)

2)  Three entries on new commitments for the next year
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Commitments_for_New_Material_Development)

** Please post an entry if you haven't and still have something to
contribute. Also, add entries to the education bibliography on the same
page if you know of anything.**

3) Ned Horning and my colleague Sasha Stepanov and I are trying to come
up with a template for tutorials using something like Open Office and/or
DocBook that we will pass by the group for comments when we have
something.

Let me know if there is something I am missing!