[OSGeo-Edu] Material for Elementary and Secondary Schools

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Apr 1 22:33:09 EDT 2008

Paul,

although my focus is graduate level education I have done some work
with 4th graders few years ago.
We have prepared some on-line material for them to work with and the
teachers could then go back
and use the material more extensively in the class later. Here is the
web site with some of the material
that we have used (this was before Google earth was launched so now
so much more is available!)

http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/classwork/kidswebgis.html

Kids just loved it and we always had a great time, so I would start
building the material using the internet
resources - kids are so used to work with browser that they can
figure out and explore a lot all by themselves.
The biggest problem is really to find a good sequence of material
that will allow teaching the material
in a systematic and interesting way,

Helena

Helena Mitasova