[OSGeo-Edu] Our todo list and new content initiatives page

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 21 23:46:09 EST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 2:15 PM, cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu wrote:

> Hi OSGeo edu folks...
>
> 1) I haven't heard of any volunteers for the last three items (D,E
> and F) on our
> todo list (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/
> Education_Committee_Work_Program).
> Should I archive them and have us focus on the top three --
> building this
> content repository? I want to keep us focused.

D is very close to B, so I think that it can be archived with a note
that it was merged into B

As for E - isn't this done by some other OSGeo committee?

I would keep F (make it D) even without a chair - it would be
extremely useful
to start building the dictionary along with the course material
to ensure that the terminology used in the course material is
consistent.
We spent quite a bit of time figuring out the terminology for the
GRASSbook
because the literature (GIS in general and software specific)
is not very consistent and changing over time, so it may become a
problem
in case you want to combine modules written by different people (or
somebody
improving the material may use different terminology) so things could
get quite messy.
We won't be able to achieve 100% consistency because of various
legacy terms
used with different software packages, but the closer we can get the
more useful
the material will be.

> 2) Reminder: Does anyone want to add any new edu content
> initiatives to this
> page?
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/
> Commitments_for_New_Material_Development

I have added my stuff, although it may still change,

have a safe trip,

Helena