FW: [OSGeo-Edu] Subversion strategy questions

Ned Horning horning at amnh.org
Wed Jan 23 15:47:15 EST 2008

Landon Blake wrote:
> [...]
Processing DocBook files can be packaged in such a way to make it pretty
straight forward. The difficult part is getting that process set up and
there are a few of us who can help with that. Eventually we'll be able
to set up a process so you feed it the DocBook XML and it spits out
HTML, PDF, and whatever else we want. In other words we're working on
turning it into a one-click process and it should be user friendly.
> I wonder how one would control things like margin width and font style
> when generating PDF documentation from Docbook. Is anyone familiar with
> how this works in the conversion process?
This is done by modifying the stylesheets and css. If you want to learn
how to do it my suggestion is to read DocBook XSL - The Complete Guide
by Bob Stayton. There is also a good mailing list to help with
questions. Just keep in mind that it isn't necessary for authors to
learn the processing details. Authors would only need to get used to
using a structured writing style (using OpenOffice, XMLMind or whatever
else) and that shouldn't be a problem.