[OSGeo-Edu] Education thread at FOSS4G2008

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Tue Jan 29 09:49:57 EST 2008

Hi all

Education is going to receive a lot of attention at FOSS4G2008:

-          FOSS GIS at schools (e.g. GIS is now part of the syllabus in
SA)

-          FOSS GIS at tertiary level

-          FOSS GIS training

-          Ubuntu '1-click' FOSS GIS CD for schools / universities for
launch at the conference

-          FOSS GIS education outreach around Cape Town

-          And more

My question is where and how to hold the discussions around
education-related activities. On this list? On a new dedicated OSGeo
list? On the OSGeo wiki? I'm sure some of you will be interested in
getting involved. Local interest is growing and I want to be able to say
to interested people 'sign up here'.

Perhaps start off by mentioning if you're interested as well as
suggesting the ideal virtual place for the 'FOSS4G2008 Education Working
Group' to meet.

Cheers!

Gavin Fleming MSc, Pr. GISc Technologist

Senior GISc and Sustainable Development Researcher

FOSS4G2008 <http://www.foss4g2008.org/>  conference chair

Mintek, 200 Malibongwe Drive (formerly Hans Strijdom Drive)

P/Bag X3015, Randburg, 2125, South Africa

w: +27-11-709-4668 c: 0845965680 f: 0866164820

xmpp (Jabber, Google Talk, etc.): gavinjfleming at gmail.com

Skype: phlemingo

27.9782E 26.0896S