[OSGeo-Edu] My Thoughts On An OSGeo Documentation Tool Chain(Long Message)

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Fri Jun 27 18:27:43 EDT 2008

Charlie wrote: " We've been contacted by the
Wikieducator.org group to possibly connect to them. From that
discussion, I became more convinced that wiki-based material might be an
option too (I was mainly worried about new derivatives and tutorials
changing in the middle of teaching). I need to investigate more their
wiki, and we as a group need to consider the value of connecting with
them. From a marketing standpoint, at the very least, I think there is
some value."

Do you have specific concerns about wikieducator? If I knew what we were
concerned about I could do some digging around next week and report back
to the list.

The only thing I don't like about wikis is they can be ugly, especially
for long text documents.

Charlie wrote: " But generally, my take on authoring is that we should
embrace any
content in any format given we want to make it easy for authors to
contribute, and at the same time, like the OSGeo logo/licensing, move
toward some established *recommendations* for authoring educational
content - not mandates, I think."

This makes sense. I'd like to work with Ned (if he is willing) and other
interested authors on some recommendations for a docbook tool chain.
This would include tools to catalog docbook, tools to convert docbook to
pretty HTML, and tools to convert docbook to printable HTML.

I'm excited about the possibilities of Docbook, but that may come from
my Java/JDOM and web site design background.

I'll post with some specific thoughts on Docbook later. Maybe I'll add
the content to the wiki first, and then just link to it in my e-mail.

Landon