[OSGeo-Edu] New list of OSGeo education (potential) groupinitiatives for 2008-09

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Oct 13 11:40:31 EDT 2008

Charlie,

I think the list you put together is very comprehensive.

I'm more than willing to write additional English chapters of the Free
GIS Book, but I won't be much use when it comes to translating existing
Spanish chapters. :] Do we have a list of new English chapters that are
needed? Did the Spanish team ever get my metadata chapter translated to
English?

I also hope to continue my contributions to the multi-language
dictionary.

The curriculum project also sounds interesting, but I'm hesitant to
commit time to it. I wonder if our role in this area would be
better-suited to the development of courses that focus on using FOSS GIS
or on demonstrating GIS principles using FOSS, than it would be on GIS
curriculum in general.

I'm also wondering if we might benefit from having a couple of our
members form an "unofficial" sub-committee to tackle technical
challenges related to organizing, storing, and delivering educational
material. This group could tackle challenges like "search"  of OSGeo
educational material and Docbook conversion. Perhaps we could fill this
sub-committee from volunteers from local chapters with some tech-savvy?

Landon