[OSGeo-Edu] geodictionary and wiktionary

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sun Oct 26 11:59:47 EDT 2008

On 26-Oct-08, at 6:13 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

>> It looks like we
>> also potentially lose the translation function (if it works well).
>
> So please compare:
>
> I have polished the sample entry:
>  http://geodictionary.osgeo.org/wiki/Landscape_genetics
>  (there are 3 translations, see there).
>
> Compare the entries which I made in Wiktionary:
>  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/landscape_genetics
>  http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Landschaftsgenetik
>
> I don't understand yet how we could categorize "our" entries
> in Wiktionary.

In Wiktionary your landscape_genetics entry would look almost
identical, just with a few more standard dictionary headings.  You
can just use the en.wiktionary.org site for all your work to keep it
simple.

In Wiktionary you can use common mediawiki categories.  I would
suggest we add [[Geospatial]] or even [[OSGeo]] to our entries.

I agree with Charlie about "forking" knowledge.  I also prefer to use
a system that will not require our own volunteers to manage - yet
another system...

Tyler