[OSGeo-Edu] geodictionary and wiktionary

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Oct 27 15:45:03 EDT 2008

(moving back to Edu)

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> wrote:
> I don't have any objections to using Wikitionary, as long as we can
> categorize our entries. What is the license for Wikitionary entries?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License
"Wiktionary and GFDL

All Wiktionary articles are licensed to the public under the GNU Free
Documentation License. See Wiktionary:Copyrights for the details. The
local copy of the license, as required by the terms of the GFDL, is at
Wiktionary:Text of the GNU Free Documentation License.
"

> Note: Someone with a user name of SemperBlotto deleted our Geospatial
> category on October 26.

I had created this category but it didn't survive long.

> Perhaps there isn't consensus within the
> wikitionary community on what is an appropriate category.

Looks like that.

Compromise IF THE WIKTIONARY LICENSE SUITS our needs:
- create entries in the various wiktionaries (esp. English)
- reference the new entry in
   http://geodictionary.osgeo.org/wiki/
  to keep a trace. I have just added a convenient template there
  (which isn't yet perfect with multi-word entries, please someone
   fix this), which makes it as easy as

   http://geodictionary.osgeo.org/wiki/Something
   as page content:
    * {{wiktionary|something}}

  then save it. If also other language(s) exist, add (e.g. German):
    * {{wiktionary|Eintrag|lang=de}}

Takes you 15 extra seconds... :)

Outcome/compromise:
- maintain entry in the official Wiktionaries
- simple trace in our own site which points to the external real entries.

Markus

PS: I observe that our sample entries
   http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/landscape genetics
   http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Landschaftsgenetik
have been already polished - as so often the "community way"
works (convincing me that it's better than expected to submit
indeed to the Wiktionaries).