[OSGeo-Edu] AAG 2009 Call for Papers

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Sep 28 01:57:05 EDT 2008

The Association of American Geographers 2009 conference is now open for
paper abstracts. This year I'd like organize paper sessions for the
conference around FOSS.
http://www.aag.org/annualmeetings/2009/papers.htm

Depending on how many papers we get I am aiming for 2-3 sessions (12-15
papers). The catch is that abstracts need to be submitted by October 16,
2008.
Proposed Sessions
  * Plan A
    o Session 1:Introduction to FOSS in Geography
    o Session 2:FOSS Case Studies - What you did, what you used and why.
    o Session 3:Technical FOSS - talks that throw in the technical talk.

  * Plan B
    o Session 1:FOSS in Qualitative Geography
    o Session 2:FOSS in Quantitative Geography

I've detailed my ideas and will be tracking our efforts at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AAG_2009
You can see the list of FOSS talks last year on
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AAG_2008

One thing I'd like people to keep in mind is that you don't need your
presentation ready by the registration deadline, you will have until
February to edit your abstracts.

I hope this can be announced and maybe discussed in the Edu BOF, my
apologies that I am unable to attend this year.

If you are interested, want more details or have already submitted an
abstract and would like to be part of our sessions email me. Keep in
mind I'm also attempting to arrange an Osgeo exhibit with the marketing
committee.

Thank you,
Alex "wildintellect" Mandel
tech at wildintellect.com