[OSGeo-Edu] OSGeo-Edu SVN repository

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Jun 17 16:48:07 EDT 2009

Tim Michelsen wrote:
> I would like to recommend using Sphinx:
> http://sphinx.pocoo.org/
Timmie,

This is a great suggestion. You may recall that about 2 years ago (?)
now my colleagues here at UMass and I were trying to come up with a
recommended process for the OSGeo edu group to create new content. At
that time, we to DocBook, and the system we came up with could also
produce HTML and pdf formats (but not LaTeX, which this appears to do).
But that effort became somewhat complicated, I came to the conclusion
that in order to get content contributions we'd better just go with
whatever format the author wanted to write in. That is, not as a group,
not mandate any one approach or format for fear of losing potential
contributors to our inventory effort.

But in my humble opinion, what would be great is if we as a group
started voluntarily moving toward these kinds of authoring approaches.
I'd like to start a new page off of the education group's page
(http://www.osgeo.org/education) under option 2 (Share educational
content) that describes some recommended authoring techniques.

Timmie, would you be willing to write up a short paragraph for this page
(using perhaps some of the text in your previous emails) recommending
Sphinx as one possible authoring option and its benefits? You could send
it to me and I'll add the page...

Cheers!

Charlie Schweik