[Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Edu] Curriculum review]

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 4 15:02:03 EST 2009

Charlie and all,

Regarding the grassbook NC data set, there is also a simpler version
available here
http://grass.osgeo.org/download/data.php
(I can provide it as shape files and ArcGrid ascii or other raster
format as well
if there is an interest)
You may remember my suggestion to create data sets with the same names
as in this data set for different geographical locations and countries
so that
a single tutorial can be used with data from different places. This
should make
the development of tutorials more efficient and the students can do
the assignments
with data from the country they can relate to.

For the larger data set I will be cleaning up the shapefiles and
rasters as needed and
  adding the official metadata directly to the files. I am also adding
more
specialized mapsets, such as time series of coastal, lidar based DEMs
for more
advanced courses.

So what I wanted to say is that I am actively maintaining the data
sets and have
a lot of class material based on it available (mostly based on the
grassbook
examples but I keep adding and modifying it as GRASS and our GIS
program evolves)
and I will be happy to make adjustments or additions
(that do not break existing course and book material) as needed

Helena

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208