[OSGeo-Edu] Re-mapping the future for Ordnance Survey - making public data public

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 19:19:29 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Lisa Sweeney <lsweeney at mit.edu> wrote:
> Re-mapping the future for Ordnance Survey - making public data public
> http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/corporate/1385429
>
> An exciting step forward! Hopefully the trend will continue and more than
> just mid scale mapping information will become available in the future.
>
> If more entities moved in this direction it would definitely make teaching
> and research easier.

While I have criticised OS in the past for many things they were
always very good about releasing data for teaching and research. The
UK academic community used to pay out about 5 million GBP each year
for the privilege but the government gave us the money to do that. If
you wanted something not covered in the agreement they would usually
give it to you for free anyway.

Ian
--
Ian Turton

Sent from State College, Pennsylvania, United States