[OSGeo-Edu] Getting ready for FOSS4Geo Sydney Birds of a Feather edu meeting

Ned Horning horning at amnh.org
Mon Oct 19 17:38:24 EDT 2009

Charlie,

I guess I'm being a little slow here but I'm still trying to get a sense
for what an OSGeo curriculum development effort would look like. There
is a good deal of GIS curriculum out there so I'm not sure if redoing
that makes sense. There has been mention of developing a curriculum
around open source geospatial technologies but I'm not sure what that
means. If we use open source software to support any curriculum I think
we'd have to pick and choose which software to use and I'm not sure we
want to do that.

 From a users perspective I have a sense for what I'd like to see but
I'm not sure if this is in line with a broader group view. Would it make
sense to create a list of server and desktop (perhaps pick one for
starters) GIS, remote sensing image processing, and other geospatial
tasks and then illustrate how each of those tasks is performed using
different OSGeo software. I'm thinking of something along the lines of:
"How Do I Do This in ArcGIS/Manifold?: Illustrating Classic GIS Tasks"
(http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/handle/1813/165). We could develop
the framework and then work with each of the OSGeo projects to populate
it with examples. This would be a great resource that could be used by
teachers to more easily adapt existing curricula (private and public) to
open source software. It would also be helpful for users. It would also
get us working with the software projects more closely.

Whatever we decide to do I expect to be able to help out during the next
year.

All the best,

Ned