[OSGeo-Edu] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] 39 out of 43 excellent project overview docs, ready for the OSGeo-Live DVD - 3 days left

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Aug 1 06:24:28 EDT 2010

OSGeo edu folks - see the below note Cameron posted to the OSGeo
discussion list (attached below).

[Cameron:] Really excellent work - really important and shows the
example amd outcome of the "process that works" you were suggesting in
your email a few days ago. Can we get theseoverview documents listed in
our educational inventory page [1]? Should a single entry to the entire
list ( like at [2] ) or one entry to each overview document individually?

[Edu folks:] Education is much more than just software tutorials - we
all know that. But several in our IRC meeting were pushing for the
development of some kind of edu documentation template. I find myself
wondering if one next step for our group, following Cameron's example,
is to get standard "Introduction and Getting Started with [OSGeo project
name here]...."  written? Should we? [Votes please]

Finally, I just wanted to note an indicator of the importance of what we
are doing or trying to do collectively. When I revisited the old
education inventory wiki page, the number of page visits was close to
30,000... I then looked at some of the other wiki pages and that
inventory page visit number was quite high, relative to other pages. If
we're interested in helping get OS Geospatial technologies more widely
adopted, our group has an important role to play. We need to continue to
work on how we move forward collectively.

(More soon on reflections of the IRC meeting/suggested next steps - I
promise!)

Cheers
Charlie

[1] https://www.osgeo.org/node/add/edu-content