[OSGeo-Edu] Templates - Structured Documents or Metadata?

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sun Aug 8 07:31:15 EDT 2010

I must say that this question of templates has me a bit confused. I'm
glad Simon has clarified the options.

So if I understand the issue, then the initial question perhaps should
be if there is an intention/motivation/time to create *new* educational
content beyond what's already floating around "out there". If an
initiative like this would indeed gain support, then we could propose
templates, insist on metadata, etc.

I'm just not sure we're there yet. From what I see - and I'd be more
than happy to be proven wrong - all the edu material to date is created
by people with a wide spectrum of agendas, aiming at diverse audiences,
using the whole gamut of FOSS4G software, mixing and matching programs
to meet their needs. (and this is a Good Thing!). So far we've sought
this already existing content and asked to allow public access to it. I
*don't* think it's reasonable to approach someone who's gone to the
trouble of writing a tutorial to ask: "can you share it, and by the way,
please reformat your material to fit our template..."

By way of comparison, or contrast: the OSGeo Journal, which should be
published 3 times a year, comes out only about once a year. It is
rigidly formatted (using latex) so each submitted article must be
squeezed into the latex mold. This is the main bottleneck to pushing out
the journal more quickly. And this is a case where the product - a
single pdf publication - must be formatted uniformly. That's *not* the
case with educational content.

 From what I see (again correct me if I'm wrong) the Free GIS book has
been stalled since 2008. I have a feeling that trying to encourage
content creators into any kind of framework would exact a cost and slow
down any efforts to spread FOSS4G educational material. Whereas looking
at new ways to "harvest" tutorials, howto's and lesson plans that people
are creating anyway should be the most productive.

Sorry for the long winded post,
Micha

--
Micha Silver