[OSGeo-Edu] Templates - Structured Documents or Metadata?

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Sun Aug 8 09:07:07 EDT 2010

Micha,

> Sorry for the long winded post,

Good points in regards to OSGeo Journal and those large scale compendiums, they do tend to come to a grinding halt when the enormity of the exercise become apparent to the initiator - that is why I am a little coy about taking on a coordinator role/s when I have other things to complete first.

Personally I think OSGeo should collect standardized metadata not standardized content. Let people play the way they want. Just insist they provide PDFs with all the agreed on metadata; but this is my opinion, and this does not seem to match with the development of templates (Ala, Cameron's Live OSGeo Templates).

Ideally, if someone publishes under a Creative Commons licence that allow derivatives or under Public Domain they should also provide the source file so it can be embellished if desired (OO file or whatever).

In regards to large files, I have another email hung up waiting for moderator approval. This email covers a wide variety of related issues and has a pretty 'cloud diagram' that I created that I hope will fuel some discussion.

I would be interested in your comments about these issues as well, when this email is 'released'.

Cheers Simon

      Simon Cropper
      Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
      PO Box 160, Sunshine, Victoria 3020