[OSGeo-Edu] Our past discussions about curriculum collaboration

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 18:49:50 EDT 2010

On 17/08/10 02:50, Daniel Ames wrote:
> Charlie et al,
>
> On question #3 I'd love to see generic GIS lab exercises that can be
> executed in any number of desktop GIS tools. How could this be
> crafted? Maybe we come up with 10 exercises and we could write all the
> generic material define the format etc. then invite participants from
> each of the desktop GIS teams to edit it with their own screen
> captures and specifics. This would be totally cool because then we'd
> have 3 to 5 lab manuals that teach the identical material - each one
> using different software.  What do you (and others) think of this
> approach?
>
> - Dan

Daniel,
I love this suggestion. I think it is exactly what is required to build
a successful framework for community developed training material.

What you are suggesting is a way to allow different experts to focus on
just their part of the solution.
Ie: Educators define the questions they need.
Developers show how the questions can be answered.

I hope that the educators can also provide traceability from exercises
-> course outlines -> Body of Knowledge.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director

Think Globally, Fix Locally