[OSGeo-Edu] licensing (or not) edu material

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 09:41:20 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Charlie Schweik
<cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu> wrote:
> Hi Puneet,
>
> P Kishor wrote:
>>
>> Please feel free to use any or all of the above for edu material.
>>

> Any chance you'd be willing to take the text you have written and put it on
> a new OSGeo edu wiki page to develop a group's "license guidance" page? It
> would be good to have direct links to the various licenses you describe, and
> then, after some group consideration of the text, eventually have a link to
> this new wiki page on our Submit Educational Content page in the "License"
> section [1].
>
> Are you up for doing this relatively small task or are you too busy?

I will be happy to do that, however, I am not sure where the OSGeo edu
wiki is, and if I have the authorization to write to it. The link to
the CC licenses is http://creativecommons.org/choose/ and to the CC
Public Domain options is http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/

> Thanks for your insights. I look forward to hearing Simon's reaction to your

Of course, Simon's concerns are important. In my view, however, they
are unfounded as there are licenses (or waivers) for whichever option
you choose. From what I understand, Simon is perhaps looking for a
license that restricts others from making derivative works or
commercializing his work, but also one that doesn't deter those who
may be wanting to do the same. Well, unfortunately that is not
possible. If I want to create something of my own out of your work, I
certainly won't use your work if it is under an ND license. If I want
to create something of my own out of your work and then sell it, I
certainly won't use your work if it is under an NC license.

So, there is no confusion -- use ND/NC, but expect some to be turned
off and away. Or, make it completely free by using CC0, and open your
contribution for use by everyone.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org