[OSGeo-Edu] New site demonstrating the use of Free & Open Source Software

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Apr 26 00:53:24 EDT 2011

Hi,

I apologise in advance if you have received this email more than once
because you are listed on two or more mail lists.

I would like to announce the launch of a new website called
http://www.fossworkflowguides.com that may be of interest to you.

The site's aim is to provide detailed workflow guides using free and
open source software.

The target audience is beginners to intermediate users.

The ultimate aim is to get more people using foss in their businesses.

These are not manuals but rather guides on how to get complex tasks
sequences or workflows completed using free and open source software.
The website is the main medium by which information is being disseminated.

That said, PDF files have also been provided that can be downloaded and
referred to when the Internet is not available.

Of particular note for this group is the 'fosGIS Workflow Guide - A
guide to the use of FOSS to view, edit, create, analyse and map
geospatial data (http://gis.fossworkflowguides.com)', although if you
look at the main page you will see I also intent to publish tutorials on
use of bash and python (http://scripting.fossworkflowguides.com). Other
guides are planned but will depend on how enthusiastically the currently
published and proposed tutorials are received.

An initial instalment of tutorials have been posted along with copious
support documentation and CC-BY-SA Data.

I welcome any feedback. You can post back to this mail list (if you want
to have a debate) or use the feedback form on the website
http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/#feedback, if you want to just point
out a typo or suggest a topic for a tutorial.

The current list of tutorials are...
- Installing gvSIG 1.10 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- Installing gvSIG 1.10 on Windows XP
- The basic configuration of gvSIG for normal use
- Datums and Coordinate Systems used in South-eastern Australia
- How gvSIG handles Coordinate Reference Systems

If you want to be informed of the publication of other tutorials in the
future register for email alerts at
http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/#alerts.
--
Cheers Simon