[OSGeo-Edu] Peer to Peer University: Community GIS course & Re: [OSGeo-Edu] More on the OSGeo educational webinar idea

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 16:36:57 EST 2011

Brylie, Charlie,
I think you both have great ideas for marketing Open Source, and I
suspect that you might both be describing the same, or similar things.

I have a few ideas on how to attract volunteers to create and then
maintain an extensive range of quality material. (If you are on this
list, you likely will have heard some of these ideas before, as they are
based on the principles of the OSGeo-Live project).

I suggest that we discuss the following questions/suggestions on the
list here, then copy into:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts

The key principle is to increase the marketing Return on Effort for each
volunteer. You do this by:

1. Clearly define the marketing product. Eg: The OSGeoLive Quickstart is
a document targeted at new users which should be able to show the key
features of an application in 5 to 10 minutes. This helps authors get
over "writer's block" and also leads to consistency and increased quality.

2. Break the product into components, and where possible, ensure that
the components can be used by multiple distribution channels. Eg: The
English Quickstart makes use of a Project Logo, and the Project Logo is
used by the ProjectOverview as well as the Project's web pages.
Likewise, the English Quickstart is translated into other languages. I'd
strongly urge people building webinars and training courses to make use
of the Project Quickstarts.  Eg: It would be great to see someone create
videos/webinars which are based on a script from the Quickstart.
The bonus here is that we reduce the cost to projects of creating (and
then more importantly the maintaining) of training material.

So my questions/suggestions:
* Who is the target audience for Peer to Peer University / Webinar?

* How long should it be? (I think a high value for effort opportunity
would be to create 5 minute webinars for each project, which is based
upon existing Quickstarts)

* Is the emphasis to be:
1. Describing an Open Source Project and how it solves a set of
technologies, or
2. Describing a technology (which is serviced by one or more Open Source
projects which are used for in examples)

* What sub-products can you break your product into? Eg, for a webinar,
I think you would break it into:
1. Slides
1.1 Screenshots
2. Script, or speaking notes (which could be derived from the Quickstart
text)

* What format will you store your products in?
1. Wiki?
2. Word/Powerpoint/OpenOffice formats?
3. Video format? What resolution? 1024x768?

* What is the process/tools should you use in creating your products?

If you have read this far, and still want more background reading, here
are a few places to look:

*
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2011/06/memoirs-of-cat-herder-coordinating.html
*
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2008/10/creating-geofoss-distribution-pipeline.html
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts (and links to
OSGeo-Live processes)
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Pipeline

On 14/12/2011 2:56 AM, Charles Schweik wrote:
> Dear OSGeo colleagues,
>
> Regarding our proposal to start an OSGeo educational webinar. It
> occurred to me that some on these lists might not fully understand
> what we are proposing.
>
> First, please check out [1] -- it is a recorded webinar stored on
> YouTube and example of what we hope to achieve. (This is a webinar put
> on by Phil Davis' GeoTech center -- Phil is an OSGeo education
> committee member, and nicely providing the webinar hosting system).
>
> Second, I urge knowledgable representatives from OSGeo software
> projects to consider working with us to schedule an "Introduction to
> your technology" webinar. Other webinar ideas are WELCOME. Please add
> your ideas (and your name, email) to our webinar ideas wiki page [2].
>
> All of these would be recorded and, with permission of the speaker,
> stored on YouTube and hopefully inventoried in the new educational
> material repository being hosted by Suchith Anand and his ELOGeo group
> at the University of Nottingham, UK. See our main OSGeo education page
> [3].
>
> I do hope some on these lists will step up and help us move this idea
> forward. This is a great marketing opportunity, especially knowing we
> can store these on YouTube and in our online searchable database.
>
> Charlie Schweik
> OSGeo Edu committee chair
>

> [1]
> http://www.youtube.com/user/GeospatialTechnology?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/-vv7OcxATh0