[OSGeo-Edu] Peer to Peer University: Community GIS course & Re: [OSGeo-Edu] More on the OSGeo educational webinar idea

Charles Schweik cschweik at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 09:50:12 EST 2011

Hi Cameron, all:

Thanks for making this link and for your continued insights, Cameron.
Short response:

- I think Cameron's idea of doing short webinars on the Quickstart
material is a great first step toward figuring out how we do this
collectively as a group.
- Can we get the individual authors of Quickstarts to do short webinars?
- Not sure how we connect to Brylie's Peer--to-Peer U question, but it
could be worth looking at that and thinking how, if we managed to
create a course collectively, how we would link that to Suchith's
system and to the Geotech Center's efforts.

My longer responses to specific questions posed below. -- Cheers
Charlie

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest that we discuss the following questions/suggestions on the list
> here, then copy into:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts

> Quickstart is translated into other languages. I'd strongly urge people
> building webinars and training courses to make use of the Project
> Quickstarts.  Eg: It would be great to see someone create videos/webinars
> which are based on a script from the Quickstart.
> The bonus here is that we reduce the cost to projects of creating (and then
> more importantly the maintaining) of training material.

I think this is an excellent suggestion to both "translate" the
quickstarts to another form of educational material (webinars/youtube
video) to increase the range of "readership." Second, it would help us
figure out how we collectively set up this system.

Below are my take on the questions posed -- but of course it's only my
view from my particular vantage point.

> So my questions/suggestions:
> * Who is the target audience for Peer to Peer University / Webinar?

I think to start, we need introductions to the OSGeo-related
technologies for anyone who wants to know what they are. So I think
the quickstart idea is perfect here.

> * How long should it be? (I think a high value for effort opportunity would
> be to create 5 minute webinars for each project, which is based upon
> existing Quickstarts)

I think 5-10 minutes would be great, although with the webinars, I was
thinking these would be a longer demonstration by project experts on
their projects that would include Q&A and be a little longer. The
examples Phil has sent out are good examples. These are simply
presentations like what we would see in a conference, for example.

> * Is the emphasis to be:
> 1. Describing an Open Source Project and how it solves a set of
> technologies, or

> 2. Describing a technology (which is serviced by one or more Open Source
> projects which are used for in examples)

It could be either....

> * What sub-products can you break your product into? Eg, for a webinar, I
> think you would break it into:
> 1. Slides
> 1.1 Screenshots
> 2. Script, or speaking notes (which could be derived from the Quickstart
> text)

Yes... all three

> * What format will you store your products in?
> 1. Wiki?
> 2. Word/Powerpoint/OpenOffice formats?
> 3. Video format? What resolution? 1024x768?

I was thinking at least #3. After the webinars, we could ask the
author if he/she is willing to store all three (scripts, slides, etc.)
in the University of Nottingham's database library. If the source of
all three are stored there, then new versions of them could be updated
every year. I think the Quickstart material also should be stored in
Suchith's system, Cameron.

> * What is the process/tools should you use in creating your products?

You have a lot of experience in this Cameron. But unless someone like
Brylie or someone else wants to step up and be the coordinator of this
and develop the standards, I worry that too many rules or requirements
will lead to larger tasks/too much time commitment and the idea will
die. We need task granularity to be as fine scaled as we can make it.

Who wrote the Quickstarts? Is it possible to recruit the authors to do
these short webinars?