[OSGeo-Edu] Edu group governance proposal

Charles Schweik cschweik at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 09:09:52 EST 2011

Hi all,

In our last virtual meeting, we briefly discussed Tom's idea of having
a new group governance or management model that would be around a
"board of co-chairs" or something like that, with people representing
various geographic regions. The group on the virtual meeting seemed
general receptive to this idea. The idea would be that these "regional
edu leaders"  might make up an edu-board that would be expected to
meet regularly in our virtual meetings. I think this would be good for
academics and others in that you could put this position on your CV as
service to the profession.

Let me suggest we start with trying to define geographic regions, then
we could do some kind of volunteering or nominations for people to be
edu co-chairs of these regions. Countries might be a reasonable unit,
except that perhaps for relatively large areas we have regions within
countries maybe? So for example, Western US, Mid-US, Eastern US?

What do people think? Please vote on this proposal (+1, -1) and/or
suggest regions for your part of the world.

Thanks all