[OSGeo-Edu] Content Sprint

Dr. F. Patrick Graz fgraz at unam.na
Wed Feb 23 03:02:45 EST 2011

Hi list,
I have been able to receive lots of emails, but not send... oh the joys of
having the computer system turned up-side down... Anyway, so my contribution
to the debate is a bit late...

Some years ago I started to develop a printing template for presenting of a
GIS course. The template has since evolved, to take on the format
'Introduction to the topic at hand' and 'how to go about doing things with
the software'.

I have attached the basic template I use, as well as a sample of the
introductory unit using gvSIG.  Students were studying environmental
management - thus the focus. Also note, that the computer literacy of some
of the students is ... limited. Ditto for English language.

I will not be able to join the content-sprint but would like to contribute
something at least, and I always find it easier to modify a suggestion
rather than to start from scratch.

The template is intended to serve as follows:
- Use double sided printing with each module starting on a new page. This
way the front page is always a right-hand page with a brief introduction,
objectives, contents (using TOC) and prerequisites immediately available.
- the next page would usually start with the first topic, or a more in-depth
introduction.
- the binding margins are narrow, but wide enough to allow for glue or
ring-binding
- the wide outer margin is intended for taking of notes by students (for
those that can still manage to use a pen/pencil), and to add highlights /
boxes. I also use the margin to "cheat" on the layout so that "Widows and
orphans" are prevented.
- normal text uses a serif font, while headings use non-serif fonts.
Apparently the serif fonts are easier to read in the long run. Many of my
text-books seem to follow a similar approach.

Any comments are welcome.

I am hoping to make my entire set of study notes available, but the powers
that be (here) are sitting on the decision - giving me the go-ahead to
publish it under the GPL (or similar). Rather frustrating, but all the
niceties must be observed.

Also, of interest (i.e. did you know) - the University of Southern
Queensland are planning a free online University details at:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/university-of-southern-quee
nsland-plan-for-free-online-university/story-e6frgcjx-1226006531939

Regards,

Patrick

Dr. F. Patrick Graz
Snr. Researcher,
Multidisciplinary Research Centre,
University of Namibia
*This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise indicated.*