[OSGeo-Edu] Denver "Content Sprint" ideas

Daniel Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Mon Feb 28 16:30:33 EST 2011

Charlie,

Slightly off topic but not really... Since your last email about educational
content, we've started building a set of tutorials for the DotNet
programmers on how to use the new open source DotSpatial library for
building custom apps. Right now we've got four tutorials all based on
desktop applications, but we're generating one per week (so I can use them
in my GIS programming class!) and will be adding web (ASP.NET) tutorials as
well and would like to some how contribute these to the broader edu effort.

http://dotspatial.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=DotSpatial%20Tutorials&referringTitle=Documentation

I'm not sure what the next step is other than to continue to generate the
tutorials and keep posting them online. I do have one question though...
what is the proper way to copyright these such that they can be used freely
by anyone for any purpose? I'm pretty familiar with the different OS
licenses, but am still naive on the various open copyrights.

- Dan
<http://dotspatial.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=DotSpatial%20Tutorials&referringTitle=Documentation>

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Charlie Schweik
<cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu>wrote:

> On 2/27/2011 4:07 PM, Brian Fischer wrote:
>
> I would be interested in contributing exercises for GeoMOOSE.  I teach a graduate level class at the University of Minnesota where I have developed exercises for using GeoMOOSE/MapServer.  I think it would make  a lot of sense if I followed the same series of exercises that the other web-based projects are proposing.
>
>  Terrific Brian!
>
> I'm trying to use the wiki page
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Web_GIS_lab_exercises to keep track of what
> people might be willing to contribute related to OS Web-based GIS.
> So far, you're the first person to volunteer to help on the Web side.
>
> Are there others on this list creating material related to any of these
> other technologies?
>

>    - deegree
>    - geomajas
>    - Geoserver
>    - Mapbender
>    - Mapfish
>    - Mapguide open source
>    - MapServer
>    - OpenLayers
>    - Others?
>

> Folks, I have one other idea related to this that might move us forward
> (both on the web and also desktop handbook production) as a group. Might we
> think of some coordinated "summer independent study" where we have students
> (grad or possibly undergrad) do some self learning of various technologies
> and through this, develop common tutorials as a deliverable of these
> independent studies? Is a coordinated summer independent study like this
> possible?
>
> Charlie

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences