[OSGeo-Edu] Legal issues that should be addressed when creating open content

Simon Cropper (The fosGIS Workflow Guides) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Mon Jul 18 22:46:04 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

Over the last few weeks I have been debating about copyright and
licensing of open content released on the OSGeo LiveDVD, with that group
(live-demo at lists.osgeo.org).

They agreed on a licensing model - that is, CC-BY for Project Overviews
and CC-BY-SA for Quickstarts. Although I don't necessarily agree with
the use of CC-BY license (for philosophical reasons), I respect the
group for grappling the issue and settling on a proposed licensing regime.

As part of the process I have released some guidelines on how to address
issues of copyright when creating open content. The text from that email
is reproduced for your benefit below...

            *** EMAIL TO Live DVD MAIL LIST ***

I thought I would articulate some basic concepts and list some links
that I have uncovered in my investigation, with the hope that they might
be of use for others.

Point 1. All material used in a document needs to be either:
a. original work (not necessarily original ideas, just original
    ways of presenting these ideas);
b. drawn from the source material licensed under an
    appropriate Creative Commons licence (see Point 2 & 3);
c. in the public domain;
d. material you have obtained permission from the copyright owner
    to use; or
e. meet the definition for fair use or fair dealing

Point 2. Creative Commons licenses are *not compatible* with any other
Open Content licenses. This means, for example, you can not legally
incorporate documents published under a GNU Free Documentation License
into your work [1]. So don't use material under different licenses
without first getting the written permission to use it. The Creative
Commons Search Tool [2] provides one means of finding websites
containing material licensed with a Creative Commons license or in
the Public Domain.

Point 3. Not all Creative Commons licenses are compatible with each
other. For example CC-BY-SA works can not be used to create CC-BY
derivatives. Check out the following matrix to establish if a license is
compatible[3].

Point 4. Works marked as being in the Public Domain may not be in all
jurisdictions and consist of two types of material: (1) those works
where copyright has expired like old books, or (2) contemporary works
where someone has relinquished their rights like the CC0 license. Care
needs to be taken when utilising such works to ascertain if they are
totally free of copyright in countries where your work is to be used. [4]

Point 5. When using works where you have had to obtain permission,
clearly articulate that you have done so by including
*text right next to the material used* that states
"(c) {copyright owner}. Use with permission, {date}"

Point 6. Fair use is defined in legislation. Check out the local
copyright act in the country you publish the work and the possibly also
the countries where your work is being downloaded. As a guide; (1)
include only small parts of the source material in your work and enclose
it in quotes, and (2) cite the source. Direct cutting-and-pasting a
variety of documents together to create a derivative
*is not* fair use. As an example, the Australian Copyright Act 1969
states that the act of reproducing *small amounts of a work* represents
'fair dealing' if it is for the purpose of research or study [5],
criticism or review [6], parody or satire [7]; or reporting news [8].

Point 7. *Citing source material is professional courtesy*. Although you
may not actually copy the work of others (and therefore copyright is not
relevant), most documents represent the sum of knowledge on a particular
topic. *It is professional courtesy* to cite the source of the ideas
expressed in the document, paragraph, sentence, table, etc. This can be
done with a generic statement at the start of a document or right next
to where the idea is presented. There are many bibliographic tools
available that allow for this process to be quickly and seamlessly done.

Point 8. *Audit yourself*.
- Disassemble your document.
- List every element and ask yourself
   - is this mine or
   - is it the work of someone else.
     - If it belongs to someone else, have you cited the source
       and ensured that the material is appropriately licensed.
     - If the work is not appropriately licensed,
       - have you sought and received permission from the
         copyright owner to use the work. If so have you clearly
         shown this in the text.
       - Alternatively, does the use of the work fall under fair
         use or fair dealing provision of the copyright legislation
         of the  countries where the work is published and/or
         publicly available?
Only after you complete this process and all source material checks out
can you then release the work without being in breach of copyright.

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License#Compatibility_with_Creative_Commons_licensing_terms

[2] http://search.creativecommons.org/

[3]
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#If_I_use_a_Creative_Commons-licensed_work_to_create_a_new_work_.28ie_a_derivative_work_or_adaptation.29.2C_which_Creative_Commons_license_can_I_use_for_my_new_work.3F

[4] https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/

[5] http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s40.html

[6] http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s41.html

[7] http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s41a.html

[8] http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s42.html

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Website Administrator
    http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
    The fossWorkflow Guides
    (c) Simon Cropper CC-BY-SA 3.0 Australia
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/au/deed.en

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper