[OSGeo-Edu] Re: [Live-demo] Impacts of OSGeo-Live document license selection on OSGeo

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 18 23:24:19 EDT 2011

> * I think that the OSGeo-Live project should mandate that
> Project Overviews should be available to be used under a
> CC-BY (without the viral "Share Alike").

please don't conflate my gift to humanity with a computer virus,
or some autoimmune disease which parasites on the rest, often
destroying the host; thanks.

it's a nasty turn of phrase which was quite deliberately
invented to skew an otherwise meaningful discussion.

Copyleft does not infect you; you consciously decide to buy it,
or not.

</pet peve>

also while in the sensitive words dept., you do not "mandate"
a team of volunteers if you hope for them to stick around for any
period of time.

> However, there is significant cost involved in creating
> training material, and training is one way OSGeo businesses
> make money. Is it ok for OSGeo businesses to incorporate
> quickstarts into their much greater training material, but
> not give the training material back?

I invite you to have a look at some of the existing commercial/
consulting firm's training material, who were happy to give back.
The key I think is getting a reputation as the go-to company for
training on some particular area, not just being in sole control
of some quickly outdated PDF.
  http://www.gdf-hannover.de/media.php?lg=en
  http://www.gdf-hannover.de/leistungen.php?id=3&lg=en

best,