[OSGeo-Edu] OSGL Advisory Board

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue May 10 05:26:02 EDT 2011

Dear All,

As per the MoU between the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) and the Centre for Geospatial Science (CGS)  [ http://www.osgeo.org/node/1071   ] ,we are pleased to announce the  11 member Advisory board comprised of  eminent academics, industry leaders and government organisations to give strategic input and direction for Open Source Geospatial Lab and its open source activities. This was based on nominations from OSGeo Board, OSGeo:UK community, OSGeo:Edu community and CGS to fill these positions and i am pleased to inform the members.

# Arnulf Christl (OSGeo President)
# Prof. Ari Jolma (Aalto University, Finland)
# Martin Daly (Cadcorp, UK)
# Chris Holcroft(Association for Geographic Information)
# Steven Feldman(KnowWhere Consulting Ltd)
# James Passmore (British Geological Survey)
# Ian Holt (Ordnance Survey, UK)
# Dr Gobe Hobona (Envitia, UK)
# Jo Cook (Astun Technology, UK)
# Prof. Maria Brovelli (Politecnico di Milano, Italy)
# Phil Davis (GeoTech Center, USA)

Our aim is for developing collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government organizations in open source GIS software and data in the UK. The lab will build up the profile of OSGeo activities in the UK and provide opportunities for excellent students to work on various OSGeo projects. We are pleased to inform that within this short time, some of our students have won awards for their excellent research carried out at the lab (For example- Best spatial analysis paper award at GISRUK 2011,  prestigious fully funded PhD scholarships etc) . We are hoping to provide more opportunities for staff and students to work on various open source projects and build collaboration opportunities in the future.

Details of some of our recent work at http://www.geoconnexion.com/uploads/Opensource_ukv9i3.pdf

Best Wishes,

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand
Centre for Geospatial Science
The Nottingham Geospatial Building
University of Nottingham  NG7 2 TU
Tel: (0)115 82 32750
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lgzwww/contacts/staffPages/SuchithAnand/Suchith%20Anand.htm
http://www.opensourcegis.org.uk/
http://ica-opensource.scg.ulaval.ca/

OSGIS 2011  http://cgs.nottingham.ac.uk/~osgis11/os_home.html

Mission - Building up Open Source, Open Standards, Open Data research for bridging the digital divide