[OSGeo-Edu] Academic event?

Jorge Gustavo jgr at di.uminho.pt
Wed Oct 19 04:13:20 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Em 19-10-2011 07:46, Ari Jolma escreveu:
> Folks,
>
> I'm interested in a academic workshop, which could be composed the way
> Tyler suggests. My main interest for the workshop is to plan and develop
> an OSGeo edu virtual machine / live system - i.e., not a single system
> but mainly develop the method, procedure and capabilities for making
> packages that are used to compose such systems.

+1. We talked about some open and collaborative life cycle that could
start on git, and then from git to some ubuntu-edu ppa, and then to
student's machines. Daniel Kastl also showed interest in this approach.

> I already presented this idea to Charlie and Suchith and offered to
> organize it in Finland some time in the early spring (February would be
> best for me). University facilities for me at least are free and I could
> even have some small support for it to pay the food for example. Atlanta
> (Georgia Tech) would also be possible but it is of course expensive for
> me to travel to USA and bringing my students is problematic.

+1 for Europe. But we could also do at the same time a workshop in the
US. Phill might help us to create a good video connection between the
two meetings.
So, in fact, I'm voting for 1 simultaneous event in US and EU.

> European funding for this kind of thing is COST - the next collection
> date is 30 March - so if we have a meeting in Feb, we could also plan
> for a COST action. I think we could have a nice group for a COST action
> if we get Nottingham, Girona, Trento and possibly some others (what do
> you say?). I've not been in a COST before so I have only superficial
> knowledge of it.

The mentioned COST program, cf
http://www.cost.esf.org/participate/open_call seems to me a very good idea.

> Best regards,