[OSGeo-Edu] [OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G-V 2012?

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Aug 7 06:53:47 PDT 2012

Hi Trevor,

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Clarke, Trevor <tclarke at ball.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'll move over to the edu list. I've created a wiki page as well:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4GV_2012

Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm toward this idea. I agree with
Cameron -- it's a good idea. Another aspect of this is that a subset
of people on this group are active right now trying to go after some
grant funding around FOSS4G education. In my view, given the
increasing importance of video-based training, it would benefit OSGeo
to start building more video-based material related to OSGeo related
activities, and especially in the area of FOSS4G education. I have
virtual conferencing software (Adobe Connect) that we could use to
hold some webinars this fall. I'd like to have this happen, in part so
that we start to build a track record here that we can use as "proof
of concept" as we go for grant funding.

A few weeks back, I sent out this wiki page [1]. At the bottom I am
trying to get people to add entries on topics that they might be
willing to present. A natural start might be simply "introduction to
____________" where ______________ is one of the OSGeo projects. But
we need speakers who are willing to do this. For the software
projects, I would think this would be all good and worth their time to
do for it is another way of promoting their project.

So I encourage everyone on this list to do one or all of the options below:

1) Consider a topic that YOU might be interested in presenting and add
the proposed topic and your name to the bottom of [1];

2) Forward this on to someone you know in an OSGeo project team and
encourage them to enter a webinar proposal at the bottom of [1];

3) Go to that page and add an idea of a topic you'd like to see/hear
in a webinar. We can then vote on the top 3 maybe with the goal of
holding virtual meetings sometime between now and the end of the year.

Come on! Let's do this OSGeo Edu'ers!!!! Take a moment to enter your
ideas at the bottom of [1] below! Let's see what kind of list we can
generate by Friday of this week!!!

Charlie

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Edu_goals_and_to_dos

--
Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Department of Environmental Conservation - http://eco.umass.edu
Center for Public Policy and Administration - http://masspolicy.org
Associate Director, National Center for Digital Government - http://ncdg.org
Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press,
2012) - see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545
Outsmart Invasive Species project: http://masswoods.net/outsmart