[OSGeo-Edu] ACM SIGSPATIAL contest

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 21 05:08:22 PST 2014

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for this info. There is also a QGIS Schematization Plugin that was proposed by  Luciene Delazari along with Mark Ware and myself for this year's Google Summer of Code. Details below:

In the current version there are few tools for generalization (Dedicated to line simplification). It would be a great improvement to have some functions to create schematic maps, for example:

   #   Simplify lines - input data will typically contain redundant vertices. These are removed by application of a suitable line simplification algorithm (in our case the Douglas-Peucker algorithm). For example building on the QGIS generalize plugin
   #   topology - ensures that original map and derived schematic map are topologically consistent i.e yopology of the network is preserved during the schematization process.
   #   angular - if possible, edges should lie in horizontal, vertical or diagonal direction.
    minimum edge length - if possible, all edges should have length greater than some minimum length.

In future, we can add more functionalities by adding constraints on Rotation, Clearance, Displacement etc.

http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014

It will be good opportunity if we can implement this as plugin in QGIS.

Suchith