[El] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4G rpm packaging

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Wed Nov 17 17:48:12 EST 2010

Hi,

> I could see that there some packages exists on both EPEL and ELGIS
> repo, we should avoid this duplication (if there is no specific
> reasons).

Our main goal is not to maintain a repo but to have recent stable
versions of the FLOSS GIS software running on EL.
The more we can get into EPEL, the better!
This is definitely a focus for EL 6, since I suspect that there won't
be much motivation to upgrade GIS software in EPEL 5.

At some point, I tried to contact some maintainers of EPEL/Fedora GIS
packages but it did not go very far.
Now may be a good time now to work on this again.

Also note that we have a repo (elgis-plus) of RPMs which require to
update based EL, which is (understandably) against EPEL guidelines

> I have recently ported the the boost (1.39.0-12) from fedora 13 to
> EL5. This is tested with mapnik and works well, if you are interested,
> let know. I can upload the same to some servers.

I'm definitely interested in that. I just rebuilt quickly a boost
version in order to get mapnik working.
I would be very interested in a better tested version.

Just send the spec file and other files and I will build/deploy them!
Thanks in advance for that.

Cheers,

Mathieu