[El] gdal-java

Ralph Apel r.apel at r-apel.de
Sun Nov 21 11:07:09 EST 2010

https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/ User: guest Passwd: none, enter :-)

Yes, I know, I saw it succeeding in tests, but for whatever reason this
turned out to not be reproducible. It simply may be that I still had
some remnants of weird manual fixes y made while looking for a solution.

Now both gdal and imageio-ext builds have passed on FC12 and I am
repeating on CentOS5/EPEL, just before trying on elgis-5-testing.cfg
The "ImageWrite" problem has been patched out.

And yes: as it seems imageio-ext-gdal will only work with the
geosolutions-patched gdal-java.

> You mean to say with that patch and without also?

Yes.

On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 20:38 +0530, Viji V Nair wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Ralph Apel <r.apel at r-apel.de> wrote:
> > The reported successful tests while building imageio-ext have shown to
> > not been reproducible even in FC12 (?!?).
> >
> > But while investigating I came across
> > https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/files/documents/7505/124115/ImageioExt-SetupGuide.pdf
> > also applicable to 1.7.3 with reference to
> > https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/svn/imageio-ext/trunk/patches/gdal1.7.2.patch
>
> asking for a password ..... :(
>
> > (NB.: a patch for gdal suppplied by imageio-ext)
> >
> > As it turns out, the gdal-java bindings as suppied by gdal itself aren't
> > identical to the ones required by imageio-ext.
> >
> > After rebuilding gdal-1.7.3 on FC12 with that patch applied, the
> > formerly failing gdal "ImageRead" Tests all pass (now more carefully
> > verified).
>
> Sorry for the confusion, you were telling that the new version of gdal
> was perfect and passed all tests on F12. You were facing issues on
> CentOS 5.5? Please explain
>

> > There is still another issue with "ImageWrite" tests I am looking into.
> >
> > But the main problem is:
> >
> > Although we can produce both the gdal original wrappers
> > (/usr/share/java/gdal.jar) AND the imageio-ext specific wrappers
> > (/usr/share/java/imageio-ext-gdal-bindings.jar), the shared libraries
> > produced in each of both builds do have the same names but are
> > different.
> > I don't really know whether the imageio-ext ones are backward compatible
> > to the upstream (gdal) ones.
> > If not, we may need to have two -java-bindings subpackages mutually
> > exclusive (i.e. conflicting) with each other.
>
> You mean to say with that patch and without also?
>
> Thanks
> Viji
> >
> > And certainly the procedure is still to be verified/tested in a
> > CentOS/EPEL/ElGIS environment.
> >
> > Again, now being more cautious, not bad so far...
> >
> > Cheers
> > Ralph

<snip/>
<!-- too long --> :-)