[El] gdal-java

Ralph Apel r.apel at r-apel.de
Tue Nov 23 14:50:49 EST 2010

Hi all,

what will the different collaborating projects be doing with respect to
Java Advanced Imaging? (a central piece to many java GISes)
:-(
Besides its license issues (which may be worked around by having the
user transparently download and rebuild the sources), there is still
another issue I wasn't really aware of:
JAI will only build and fully run with Sun-Java, no OpenJDK.
Although in openjdk we have some classes from the
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg  package
1) these are only stubs
2) an additional class used by com.sun.media.jai.tilecodec and other
stuff is missing (sun.awt.image.codec.JPEGParam)

A simple approach would be to build it with Sun-Java and caution OpenjDK
users not to use the JAI JPEG classes, using ImageIO instead.

Modifying JAI sources is impossible IMHO, not for technical, but for
legal reasons.

Ask OpenJDK to supply a stub for sun.awt.image.codec.JPEGParam?

Supply such a stub just for the purpose of compiling an unmodified JAI?

Wait for Sun / now Oracle?

Regards
Ralph