[El] RPM package for mod_geocache

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Fri Oct 29 03:09:48 EDT 2010

--------Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org> wrote--------
Subject: Re: [El] RPM package for mod_geocache
Date: 28.10.2010 18:39

>Hi Peter,

Salut, Mathieu

>I'm currently working on building/deploying your packages through the
>"official" elgis factory.
>TinyOWS went smoothly (i haven't deployed it, because I do the
>signing/release in batch)
>
>But for mod_geocache, do you know which SVN revision you took?
>Or should I take the latest?

The package was done with release r27, current seems to be r37.

>Shouldn't we ask Thomas (the developer) to do a release, since he made
>an announcement on the osgeo-discuss mailing-list?

I've added the mod-geocache ML to CC.

>As already discussed, I think we should (try to) push upstream
>projects to do releases, even if just RCs, or milestones, so that
>users and developers can speak the same language.

Generally speaking, I agree wholeheartly. But since the project is very young, Thomas may prefer to still do major changes in the structure of mod-geocache before freezing for a release.
>Anyhow, I have no issue with taking SVN revisions in testing, but I
>would like to use the one you are testing.
A numbering scheme for subversion checkouts could be to add the revision number as a last digit, let's say mod-geocache-0.0.0.27. This way releases numbers could increase monotonically with time.
Anyway, I would not add software, which does not have an official release to stable.
Should we have a kind of experimental repo, where proof of concepts, etc. can be placed, such as the mod-geocache package? Too much overhead?

>- either we say that the revision IS the version: mod_geocache-0037
>(but later updates may be a pain when they start versioning properly)
>- or we already have an idea of which versioning scheme he plans to
>use, and we use the revision to qualify it: mod_geocache-0.0.1-r37
>
>Comments/ideas welcome!
>
>Mathieu

Regards,

Peter