[El] PostGIS UI in a separate package (was New Install - And Errors)

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Fri Sep 24 04:38:01 EDT 2010

> In this case, I think that something like gtk+-devel should be in the "BuildRequires".

We have:
BuildRequires:	gtk2-devel, libxml2-devel
at line 21 of the spec file

We build the ELGIS packages in the kind of mock environment used by
CentOS builds (chrooted install with only basic packages + the
BuildRequires packages), so missing dependencies required by the build
is very unlikely.

> Short poll: is there any interest in building the GUI, which, if I'm right is the GUI for shp2pgsql, which is the shapefile loader of PostGIS. Should this be a separate package? Many people use PostgreSQL/PostGIS on servers without X, which would not be possible if we include Gtk+ as a dependency.

+1 for a separate postgis-gui package which would have a Requires:
gtk2 (or gtk+ ??)
I just need to locate where are the related files and remove them from
the main package in order to put them in a supplementary one.

For the time being since we don't have Requires: gtk2, it doesn't
force the X system install.
Trying to run the gui would simply fail if you don't have GTK.

So I guess that this is fairly low priority and I would wait for the