[El] QGIS 1.5.0 in elgis-plus-testing (with python plugins support)

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Thu Sep 30 16:21:20 EDT 2010

Hi,

it was long and painful, but we finally got it: the latest version of
QGIS running on CentOS 5, with the python plugins.

If you already installed a previous version of QGIS from the ELGIS, it
is probably better to do a little cleaning:
 yum remove PyQt4
(this will also remove qgis, it is required since our new PyQt4 has a
different package name and some files conflicts)

You can also remove or downgrade sip, since we don't use it anymore:
 yum remove sip

Enable the elgis-plus-testing repo (in /etc/yum.repos.d/elgis-testing.repo).

And install QGIS:
 yum install qgis qgis-python

(please note that this updates the base qt4!)

The GRASS plugin seems to work although you need to specify manually
the GRASS installation path /usr/lib(64)/grass-6.4.0 when starting the
first time:
 yum install qgis-grass

A few technical details since the issue was discussed on this list:
- as we suspected the issue was with the version of python, therefore
our QGIS is now based on python26 from EPEL
- but QGIS relies on PyQt4, which relies on SIP, both being related to
a particular version of python
- therefore we rebuilt SIP (python26-sip) and PyQt4 (python26-PyQt4)
so that they deploy as python26 extensions instead as extensions of
the base python
- then, just a few hacks on the Fedora spec file for QGIS 1.5.0

Cheers,

Mathieu