[ELGIS] POLL: 12 bit JPEG compression in TIFF

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 2 10:49:59 EDT 2011

Folks,

I would note that it is possible to build GDAL with external libraries
and to include 12bit jpeg in tiff support but it does mean building libtiff
with a non-standard libjpeg.  So overall things would be considerably
complicated.

I normally consider 12bit-jpeg-in-tiff as a fairly esoteric option and one
that might be satisfied by custom builds and/or some other prepackaged
solution (like FWTools) rather than system packaged software.  But
opinions on it's utility may vary.

Best regards,
Frank