[ELGIS] POLL: 12 bit JPEG compression in TIFF [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon Aug 15 05:35:03 EDT 2011

Hi Bruce:

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 09:53 +1000, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Agreed.
>
> JPEG is a lossy compression format.

Yes, but when I tried the JPEG 12 bit compression, I found that pixel
for pixel, it was almost exactly the same as the original tiff.

> People who use tiff, typically want a lossless format.
>
> Therefore, I don’t see the need for a JPEG compression of TIFF.
>
> If I wanted a lossy compression, I’d typically go for a wavelet
> compression format like ecw.

True, but I always get stuck with the restrictive licensing of ECW.
And if jpeg 12bit gives a file size only double of the ECW compression
ratio, with *nearly* lossless results, it becomes interesting...