[ELGIS] Fwd: [gdal-dev] Libtiff 4.0.0 Released

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Tue Dec 27 08:36:39 EST 2011

On 12/27/2011 12:14 PM, Micha Silver wrote:
> On 12/27/2011 10:14 AM, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
>> This seems to be, by far, the cleanest solution. I did not realize
>> that we already do have out oun LibTIFF.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Would libtiff 4.0 include support for 12 bit jpeg? I know this is
> still a bit "esoteric", not well supported. But it seems to be a very
> good compression option without resorting to ecw or MrSid. Wonder what
> FrankW thinks about it?
> Thanks,
> Micha

As far as I understand it, this is not directly related to LibTIFF, but
is a compilation option of GDAL, once that you use the internal libjpeg.
IIRC, libjpeg can be compiled for either 8 or 12 bit, but not both. The
GDAL source tree works around this, by compiling it in both flavours.
For using jpeg compression within TIFFs, you might be inetersted in
http://demo.geo-solutions.it/share/foss4g2011/gs_steroids_sgiannec_foss4g2011.pdf.

Peter