[El] Did I just make a lot of work for myself or is there an easy way out?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Feb 18 19:19:09 EST 2011

Hi Folks,

Ignorant YUM Newbie here. I wonder if some can tell me if I screwed this
up and if so how to fix it? I've got the EL GIS 5 and EPEL repos set up
on my CentOS 5.0 system, and it's been working fine. Apparently I also
have postgres set up along with CentOS repos.
To I noticed that I didn't have MapServer so I did a simple-minded
thing, I just sent YUM off to "install mapserver". Well it seemed to be
working, but at the end it started spiting out error announcing that
several support packages were incompatible. It also seemed to have tried
to install a lot of i386 modules. Obviously, it wasn't a good install,
and I'm wondering what to do to correct things. Or  do I have to pick
things apart one module at a time? I'd also like to know what I should
have done or recognized before I got into this mess. I've attached a log
of the session so you can see what I saw. Sorry for attaching the whole
thing, but I don't know what bits are important to diagnose this.

--

*Bill Thoen*
GISnet - www.gisnet.com <http://www.gisnet.com/>
bthoen at gisnet.com