[El] QGIS and GRASS on Scientific Linux 6

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Mar 19 09:31:35 EDT 2011

Hi Mathieu and others:

I've completed compiling both GRASS and QGIS on a new SL-6.0
installation. It went fairly smoothly using only the EPEL repo. Only a
few minor glitches. So I'd guess that the way forward to RPMs should be
open.

Here's what I encountered:

For GRASS the only include files that weren't found by ./configure was
freetype2 since it's in a subdir of /usr/include. I got all of the
requirements (build tools, spatial libs, python etc) using yum. Then a
straightforward ./configure line got the Makefile setup and make && sudo
make install went fine.

For QGIS (1.7 from svn) I found one QT library missing: QTWebkit. I got
that separately from ATrpms. Perhaps this is a package that el-gis
should offer? Running cmake, the script did not find the gdal libs since
this was a 64 bit system. I needed to add to cmake:
-DGDAL_LIBRARY:STRING=/usr/lib64/libgdal.so

(maybe I should report that to qgis-devs?)

Then cmake finished cleaning, finding all dependencies and the build
went fine.

My full notes are here:

http://www.surfaces.co.il/?p=880

Regards,